Sunday, June 2, 2013

A neighbor had a yard sale recently and I came upon an item I have been desperately searching for, a dutch oven. Unfortunately, my old pot had bit the dust but as luck would have it I managed to replace it with something of even better quality for only $2. It's a copper bottom Revere Ware dutch oven - yahoo! I christened it the other night with a stew and it was quite tasty.

My $2 fantasy

Speaking of things Revere, have you seen one of the latest Geico commercials? If Paul Revere had a cell phone that fateful night...it cracks me up!

Hey...they're comin'...yeah...the British...later.

Speaking of yards sales, I came back from Goodwill with an exciting haul that cost me $30. I don't usually spend that much but my 30 bucks got me two pairs of plain black tees (one short sleeve, one long), two pairs of pants (one for work, one for the weekends), one designer sweater (Adrienne Vittadini!), one pair of Clark's shoes (I know they can go for $80 but I got my never used pair for $8)! I swear most of the clothes are never worn or just lightly worn. You know, I really have a hard time shopping retail these days!

This morning I woke to our main street blocked off for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. It was an experience watching the runners and you could feel all the energy in the air despite the early morning hour. If you click on the website it will bring you to the course video. Once you select the video, it'll take about 40 seconds or so till you reach Adams Avenue the main drag where I live. You did see me waving at you, didn't you?

Anyway, all that excitement just got me hungry! I decided to make pancakes from scratch because they are always better that way aren't they? I use Martha Stewart's pancake recipe because it's no fail. Here's the recipe if you are so inspired to cook this morning.

Yummy, yummy, yummy!


Martha's Basic Pancakes
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Assorted toppings, such as butter, maple syrup, confectioners' sugar, honey, jams, preserves, sweetened whipped cream, or chocolate syrup

Directions

You know what, the directions are awfully long. Basically you mix the dry ingredients into the wet and cook. If you have a griddle, all the better, I just use my frying pan. Wait till the pancakes start to bubble (1-2 minutes) and then it's time to flip them over. When they're done, I use real maple syrup and/or sometimes I put a little jam on the tasty morsels.

This morning I made the pancakes with mashed up bananas, added a little cinnamon and instead of milk I used flavored coffee cream (today it's French Vanilla).

Sunday morning at its best!

Hope you enjoy your Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    It is so good to have you back.
    Wow, what a deal on the dutch oven.
    Your breakfast sounds so good.. Yummmmmmm!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the verge of reporting you missing to the F.B.I. and here you are! Welcome back.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THOSE GEICO COMMERCIALS!!!!!! theehehehehhe...that was a hoot.

    BONNIE DEAR! I AM LOVING YOUR PRESENCE! HEY THERE! Oh, it's like old times to see you! REMEMBER THOSE DAYS of Nowhere, Miss Paisley, and Ruben's blogs?

    How are YOU?? Thank you for coming to visit me and email me when you can! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I was so pleased when your name popped up in my comments :D
    I've been checking frequently to see if you had blogged!!!

    Hope you are well?

    Those pancakes look delish, I've never made them from scratch myself, pancakes are slightly different in the UK though anyway! :)

    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Sal xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yard Sales aren't something that seem to have made it to my corner of England, perhaps its up to me to be the first to have one.

    Great to catch up with you Bonnie, I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete